Building Trades & Skills Assessments AQFIII

Guest STTT

Guest STTT

After following various threads on this forum, I have notice with interest the many misunderstandings around the whole trade licensing system in Australia. I would like to clarify in easy terms how the building & construction industry operates within Australia.

Building trades are generally sub-contract. The licensing rules differ from state to state, the answer to the question “Do I need a license to work as a bricklayer / plasterer/ roof tiler etc. when I arrive in Australia is simply - NO.

Most tradesmen operate their own small businesses and contract to a (state) licensed principal

sub-contractor; you do not need a license to do this. However, if you would like to be the legal entity of a contracting business (principal sub-contractor) then yes you will need a license.

In short, I Joe Bloggs can work for Billy the Brickie as a sub-contractor, Billy the Brickie is the license holder - contracting to a building company or a developer etc. Billy the Brickie is then responsible for the seven year guarantee of his and his sub-contractor’s workmanship. I would imagine that most people, who first arrive in a new country with no local experience or product knowledge, would NOT want to take on this responsibility of license holder. Surely you would want to work for somebody first to gain some experience and local knowledge.

Example: I arrive in Queensland today, can I work tomorrow?

YES. All you need are your tools, your skills and a safety awareness training card (e.g. Blue Card) which you can obtain from numerous training organisations within Australia or you can go on-line to complete this testing. Average cost for this Blue Card is about $110.00 some as low as $69.00 and you can work from day one! These blue cards are NOT nationally recognised so make sure that you obtain the right card for the state you will be living and working in.

Do I need AQFIII and Australian trade recognition to gain a license?

The answer is generally, yes, depending on which state you decide to settle in and their individual licensing requirements which will vary between the trades.

Can a skills assessment company obtain this licensing for me?

NO! Definitely not! These licensing bodies in each state are totally independent bodies - very separate from any training / skills assessment organisation.

It is very important that you research each state’s legislation and determine exactly what is required for each state and each trade area. i.e. In WA the only trades which require a license are plumbing, painting and electrical. However, you can still work in these trades even though you don’t hold a license, you just need to work for someone else who is a licensed contractor.

Below is a link to websites of the various licensing bodies within Australia. Hope this all helps.

Licence Recognition

Archived